Job Title: Code Enforcement Officer
Salary range: Full Time: $23-$27/hour; Part Time: $18-$22/hour
Location: Upper Darby Township
Department: Licenses & Inspections
Hours: Full time and part time available
Code Enforcement Officers perform a variety of duties to ensure a safer community. CEOs monitor and enforce applicable ordinances, codes, and regulations related to zoning, land use, nuisance housing, building codes, safety, blight, graffiti, and other matters of public concern. CEOs serve as a resource and provide information on regulations to property owners, residents, businesses, the general public, and township departments and divisions.
This position is supervised by the Assistant Director of Code Enforcement, Department of Licenses & Inspections, who has the authority to direct the work of and evaluate the position.
Upper Darby is hiring Full-time and Part-time Code Enforcement Officers.
Work Schedules include:
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday: 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Tuesday-Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Sunday-Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Saturday-Sunday: 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Hourly Rate: Full-time $23.00-$27.00, commensurate with experience
Hourly Rate: Part-time $18.00-$22.00, commensurate with experience
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform a variety of field and office work in support of Upper Darby’s code enforcement program; enforce compliance with regulations and ordinances including those pertaining to zoning, land use, nuisance housing, building codes, safety, blight, graffiti, water waste, and other matters of public concern.
- Receive and respond to complaints and reports on alleged violations of zoning and related municipal codes and ordinances; interview complainant and witnesses; conduct investigations and provide recommendations for resolution.
- Conduct field investigations; inspect properties for violations; attempt to make contact at the residence or business in order to resolve violation; issue and post warning notices, notices of violation, corrective notices, orders to comply, and related documentation for code violations; schedule and perform all follow-up functions to gain compliance including letters, inspections, calls, meetings, discussions, and negotiations to ensure compliance with appropriate codes and ordinances; issue administrative and citations and notices of violation as necessary.
- Prepare evidence in support of legal actions; appear in court as necessary; testify at hearings and in court proceedings as required.
- Maintain accurate documentation and case files on all investigations, inspections, enforcement actions, and other job related activities including accurate and detailed information regarding code enforcement activity to substantiate violations; draw diagrams and illustrations and take photographs.
- Patrol assigned areas to identify and evaluate problem areas and/or ordinance violations; determine proper method to resolve violations.
- Locate vacant residences and businesses; secure buildings with proper materials as necessary; post the property as necessary; check vacant buildings regularly for transient activity, graffiti, and other forms of vandalism.
- Prepare a variety of written reports, memos, and correspondence.
- May assist in researching, drafting, and rewriting municipal codes; participate in the development of forms and processes utilized to address various issues.
- Perform other duties as directed.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent, required
- One year of experience involving a high level of public contact including some experience dealing with the public in an enforcement, inspection, investigation, or customer service capacity is preferred. Experience that includes the enforcement of municipal codes is highly desirable.
- Possess a current Pennsylvania Residential Building Inspector Certification or be able to obtain the certification within six months of hire date.
- Additional certification and technical training and or design/construction trades, preferred.
- Familiar with methods and techniques of business correspondence, record keeping and technical report preparation.
- Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers, and supporting word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Possess a valid driver’s license
Applicants selected as finalists for this position will be subject to a comprehensive background check.
Should apply online using the "Apply Online" link below or send resume and cover letter to:
Township of Upper Darby
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED