The Upper Darby Township Fire Department
has the responsibility of protecting a population which numbers approximately 81,177 residents within a large municipality of approximately seven point six two (7.62) square miles.
It currently consists of five (5) stations:
- Garrettford Drexel Hill Fire Company: organized on March 12, 1908
- Highland Park Fire Company: organized November 29, 1911
- Upper Darby Fire Company: organized in 1916
- Cardington-Stonehurst Fire Company: organized January 16, 1916
- Primos Secane Westbrook Park Fire Company: organized in 1955
The Fire Department is a combination department consisting of approximately 44 Career Fire Fighters and 200 Volunteer Fire Fighters. The Chief officers consist of:
- One Career Department Chief
- Five Career Deputy Chiefs
- Five District Chiefs
- Fifteen Assistant Chiefs
- Six Career Captains
- Ten Volunteer Captains
- Ten Lieutenants
- One Career Fire Marshal
- One Training Coordinator/Administrator
- One Department Secretary
The department responds to over 3,000 calls a year consisting of buildings, structure fires, automobiles, trash, brush, auto accidents and E.M.S. assist calls with the Delaware County Memorial Hospital Paramedics.
The Upper Darby Township Fire Department also operates it's own Fire Prevention Unit. The Department conducts Fire Prevention programs in all the 23 schools, a major hospital, senior citizens groups, various businesses and all its many in home day care providers and day care centers within the Township. The Fire Prevention Unit not only conducts fire drills though out the year for all the many schools within the Township but works along with the business community to conduct fire drills throughout the year at their request.
The department also operates its own Smoke Detector Program for senior citizens, handicap persons, and any families in our Township that cannot afford one.
We also have a program to deal with kids who play with fire or have tendencies to want to start fires.
- Plan, organize and administer a program of fire prevention and public safety in accordance with approved policies and directives;
- Review the work performed by firefighting forces in suppression of fires;
- Prepare, in conjunction with the Board of District Chiefs, an annual budget and capital budget for the Department;
- Develop, in conjunction with the Board of District Chiefs, departmental plans and programs and coordinate implementation thereof with the departmental staff;
- Supervise Township Fire Department personnel;
- Meet with community agencies to explain the department's programs and to obtain cooperation for fire prevention programs;
- Act as a liaison between the fire department and other township departments in order to achieve interdepartmental cooperation;
- Oversee and coordinate training programs for all fire fighting personnel;
- Coordinate collection and dissemination of information concerning emergency training;
- Have the authority to be the incident manager of fire/rescue operations when he is at the scene of any incident occurring in Upper Darby Township and to work with the established command of the District Chiefs at the scene of any incident. As used in this subsection an incident shall mean any situation that requires a response by the fire department;
- Prepare and submit annually a status report of the operations and activities of the fire department to the Mayor, Council, and the Board of District Chiefs;
- Review building permit application drawings and provide advice to the Director of Licenses and Inspection regarding:
- Compliance with the Township Fire Code
- Compliance with the Township Building Code
- Requirements for the handling and storage of flammable materials.
- Serve as the Fire and Rescue Services and Hazardous Materials Officer as outlined in the upper Darby Township emergency Operations Plan.
The Upper Darby Township Fire Department has five (5) stations strategically located throughout the Township.
Cardington—Stonehurst Fire Company
- 350 Harrison Avenue Upper Darby, PA 19082
Garrettford-Drexel Hill Fire Company
- 323 Edmonds Ave. Drexel Hill, PA 19026
Upper Darby Fire Company
- 7241 West Chester Pike Upper Darby, PA 19082
Primos-Secane-Westbrook Park Fire Company
- Secane & Ashland Avenue Secane, PA 19018
Highland Park Fire Company
- Park Avenue & Cedar Lane Upper Darby, PA 19082
The department has the following equipment:
- 3 Ladder Trucks (l00’)
- 1 Tower Ladder (l00’)
- 1 75 ’ Quint (ladder & pumper combination)
- 1 Foam Pumper
- l 54’ Squirt Pumper
- 7 Additional Pumpers
- 2 Rescue Companies (used for many different incidents including vehicle, trench, elevator, residential, etc.)
- l Trench Rescue Trailer